Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Paint Jar (no.133)

8" x 6" x 3/4", oil on masonite panel

SOLD
An item that definitely falls into the category of the ordinary and mundane, but one that I use daily for the soap and water stage of my brush cleaning and that has become a very important part of my daily routine over the past few years.  I always loved the look of the glowing murky water and the roughed up outside, but it took me a while to decide it was worth capturing out of concern that it was more interesting at a glance than as a painting.  

This is probably my first truly self-referential painting as a painter, definitely inspired by the work of Duane Keiser and his various paintings of paint.  I've always been fascinated by the concept but never really saw it fitting in with my painting style, but the experience was an exciting and challenging one.  I imagined the biggest hurdle would be getting the paint gobs to look three-dimensional but it was maintaining the form of the jar while mucking up the glass surface that proved to be the real struggle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment