Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pine Branches in Wooden Crate (no.73)

8"x8"x1", oil on masonite

SOLD

If you'd like to purchase a print of this painting, please feel free to visit my Etsy shop!
 
I know this one's a little out of season (in my opinion at least) but I loved the image and that's all that matters right?  Right.  This comes from a couple of photos I took at a friends lake house in New Hampshire on the 4th of July, which I thought I might have exhausted all possibilities for paintings from last year but I was wrong.  The pine needles were tough as they just beg to be painted needle by needle.  After roughly painting the general forms of the branches they wouldn't look crisp enough to register as pine branches so I'd fall into a trance of painting needles until I had to stop myself and blur it all out again.  The push and pull between specific detail and general strokes is an important and difficult part of painting (to me) in these pieces as well as my larger conceptual pieces in which I aim to paint far more abstractly but with areas of focus.


This is how it would look framed (actual painting does not include frame):




No comments:

Post a Comment